What have you purchased recently?

If you haven’t seen it already, @Mr_Makua got to hear all of the different Gjallarhorn variants and wrote some impressions here:

https://forum.sonusapparatus.com/t/kennerton-gjallarhorn-og-vs-jm-vs-lsa-hp-2/183/15?u=rgdelato

3 Likes

Yes thanks I already read that. Just looking for different opinions.

1 Like

Curious to hear your thoughts, especially comparing to the HP-2. Gjallarhorns are my babies right now. They nail my preferences and they’ve got the build quality, looks, and comfort on top of that. You picked up a beautiful set!

1 Like

Day 2 with the Aeon 2 Noire and I’m listening to it on the BF2 > QS at the moment. Listening to the 24/96 2015 remaster of Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin.

So the compression issues that have plagued the DCA stuff in the past isn’t as much of an issue with the Noire. There still is a bit of compression, but that isn’t uncommon with planar magnetic drivers, especially in this similar price range…

There is still something that seems to be holding back the drivers a bit. It has this overly soft presentation that almost seems like over-damping. But I am not using any of the included filters. I am actually starting to wonder if maybe this has something to do with the way DCA tensions the magnets on their drivers. So even though the FR is a slight U shape of sorts, because of the softness it comes across as a bit loose and warm. I think it is a tricky signature to explain to some folks that haven’t heard an over-damped headphone or speakers in a room that is overtreated with damping. It should be noted that this isn’t always a bad thing (i.e. poorly recorded stuff is much more pleasant).

But…for this price point, I don’t consider the over-damping (or a slight lack in dynamics, mainly in the mids) a dealbreaker. In fact, if one has a tube amp that handles planars well and is a bit more analytical (like the Quicksilver), it fixes some of the issues with the Noire.

All in all though, it is a vast improvement over previous gen Aeon headphones.

16 Likes

A mostly empty box containing an appropriately sized box with a Knipex 92 11 03

17 Likes

Some notes on physical differences:
~The HP-2 is lighter weight, but feels and looks kinda cheap. This is something that I only really perceived when in person. You might say if this is a modded and cheaper GH50 that this is fine, but it’s still a product that costs $$$ and I find this off-putting. I don’t really worry about breaking things, but you do get the sense that they might not hold up as well and be easier to damage.
~I feel like the suspension strap design is better balanced with the GH50 and the original weight might have been taken into account here. The GH50 just feels more comfortable to have on my head for any length of time.
~The GH50 ships in a box with Gjallarhorn branding, but the HP-2 comes in a box for a Magni
~Both come with identical carrying cases
~The cables are different. The HP-2 comes with a thicker, slightly unwieldy cable that doesn’t go well with the lighterweight nature of the headphone… it’s quite annoying. The GH50 comes with a cable that is half as thick and felt better hanging about the neck. There is also a strap on it that can be wrapped around and snapped for better storing management.

Sound-wise bass is the real separating and determinating factor here. It really is something hard to nail down in description. The GH50 is an incredibly bassy headphone, but it doesn’t overwhelm the other frequencies, seem dark, nor linger past where it’s needed. It also doesn’t hit with hard impact; there is a general softness here that makes it quite non-fatiguing. My take on the HP-2 would be similar to others, it’s the GH50, but with its unique quality stripped away and turned into a more balanced sound overall. I personally would rather have something that sounded unique and filled a role that other headphones wouldn’t easily step on.

11 Likes

Finally getting around to upgrading the cartridge on my turntable.

15 Likes

Thanks for the reply. It doesn’t look as impressive. My choice is between the Magni and the HP-2. Or I could just punt for now and get the Apos Caspians.

:heart: Knipex quality.

1 Like

Welp… sometimes you just get on your computer to browse shit and you see an email “an item you have on your watch list just listed” And sure enough you can’t help yourself and just buy it. Because it was just too good of an offer to pass up. We’ve all been there.

9 Likes

New server hype! Looking forward to your impressions.

2 Likes

I think I may wind up putting the Pi2AES out to pasture, unless I decide to make a dedicated BHC listening area.

There’s a guy on the Roon forums that works for Lumin and I spoke to him via PM, he said dollar for dollar this was their best value as it incorporate 4 clocks, the same board used in their U1 and it scales very well with a good power supply when you remove the built in SPS. Which is what the U1 basically is, in a nicer chassis w/ an upscale PS. This one not only was a good price but it also has the conversion already done and the PS looks like a decent base, but I can always justify a new PS. lol

I’ll be able to do a real hard comparison between this and the full SOtM suite. Excited about that. BTW I was able to switch the USBTx ultra over to 12v… one jumper, 10 minutes worth of work. So I’ll have both the streamer and the reclocker powered from the same PS. I’m keeping both it’s just a matter of which goes where based on how they meld with the other components.

3 Likes

Well…just paid more for a cable (used) than I ever thought I’d spend on headphones up until a couple years ago. Hope it gets here in time to check it out with the Sus on loan in a couple weeks.

14 Likes

That the one that ships from Israel? if so I’m Jealous.

Yep, that’s the one.

1 Like

I loved FTA Callisto so much that I bought an FTA Matis Ethernet cable on the way to keep that house sound.
A lot of cable purchases lately :eyes:

9 Likes

Got me some buds pros to replace the buds plus I broke. Only reason I still buy from beat buy is how good their warranty is. May be extra money but I basically replaced them for free.

12 Likes

I bought a pair of Buds Pro last month after buying my Galaxy S21 Ultra. I miss having a 3.5mm jack, but for Bluetooth, the Buds Pro aren’t that bad. When I want something higher quality, I use my W2 and my KSC75 or Porta Pro.

3 Likes

How did the mod went?

Was pretty easy to do, I haven’t really spent a lot of time with it since I pretty much would pick the bl03 last out of the IEMs I currently have :sweat_smile:

1 Like