“My End Game Setup” I am finally satisfied with my setup and its thanks to you guys!

TLDR: Thanks to everyone on this forum, I finally achieved satisfaction from my audio setup. I still got my “End Game” setup specifically for my ATH-L3000 coming maybe July or August, but just wanted to post this and say thank you to this community since I will probably most likely go back to just lurking in this forum. I will make most likely another post when my other “End Game” setup specifically for my ATH-L3000 arrives in the ATH Thread. But just in case if I don’t talk anymore, thanks for everything, you guys are awsome!

My Current Audio Chain:

ROON Rock - Intel NUC 7i7 > EMM Labs NS1 > [AES] Mojo Audio Mystique EVO Basic > [XLR] Allnic HPA-5000XL > :crown:Onkyo A800

My favorite headphones currently are the Onkyo A800 > ATH-L3000 > A toss-up in my collection (Depending on my mood).

What I look for in a headphone is Natural or Sweet Vocal Reproduction > Instrumental Timbre > Music sounds engaging and intimate > Music Weight (Don’t want the music to sound thin) > Soundstage (Reverb) > Bass > Sub-bass > Clarity (I think you can achieve a good amount of clarity with the source rather than just relying on the headphone, but you kinda need both headphone and equipment to get a good amount of clarity)

• Intro:

This is my “End Game” headphone setup to me. Shoutout to MON on his legendary Shit List and High-End DAC comparison articles, NickMimi for selling me his DDC and opening my eyes to the importance of sourcing, and Orrman (posting the Roon Rock in the Used Thread) and Polygonhell (selling me his NS1 streamer) on the used market and giving me the opportunity to complete the final piece of the puzzle on my headphone system.

• Road to Satisfaction:

With this current setup, I actually feel a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction from this hobby that I have not felt since starting this hobby. I had some wow moments as I described in one of my first posts in this forum like listening to the Sennheiser HD600 for the first time, hearing my first decent clarity from an Audeze headphone, getting my hands on one of the most beautiful headphones the L3000, and my first discovery of my favorite headphone of all time the Onkyo A800. They wow me, but never satisfied me, hint why I was continuing to spend money to find this satisfaction that I thought was just impossible to achieve. That’s when I started focusing more on sources like my DAC and amp. Thanks to MON shitlist, I discover proud ownership of the Mojo Audio Mystique Evo Basic and the Allnic HPA-5000XL. I know MON shitlist features the Pro version of the Evo DAC, but I did a little research on my own and discover the basic version was perfect for someone with an inexpensive source like me. Plus, I think I bought the Mystique Evo DAC basic for like $3200-$3400 bucks, so I think it can’t get better than that under $4K and I could always upgrade the Mystique Evo DAC basic to the B4B version whenever I feel ready (Ben said he doesn’t do the Pro version anymore, only the B4B version in one of the post in another forum). Then, fast forward, 1 short conversation with NickMimi, he sold me his DDC and completely open my eyes to the world of audio sourcing. It was like I had tunnel vision before and he got me out of that tunnel and I never look at the audio world the same ever again. Now, when I see someone with a 10k plus setup and using their PC without any reclocker, server/streamer, or any type of DDC, I just shake my head lol. Then, I forgot who, but someone in this forum ask why should they upgrade their Pi2AES. I was thinking the same thing because the Pi2AES has a black background 90% of the time. Was it really worth spending a couple of thousands more for the extra 5% - 8%? After everybody contributed to answering his questions, it kinda had an AoE (Area of Effect) and influence me as well on upgrading my Pi2AES even though I was only lurking. Then Orrman posted a pretty cheap Roon Rock in the Used deal thread. Frame 1, sent a message to the seller in USAM. The build seems good and the processor is a 7th generation i7 and a 256GB M.2SSD. I think that should be good enough for me. Then Polygonhell posted his NS1 streamer. That one I had to think about and research if it’s worth spending about 10x the price of a Pi2AES. After doing some research, I ask Polygonhell a personal question like his reason for buying the NS1 to help convince me on spending 10x on the Pi2AES I have almost no complaint about it. His reason pretty much aligned with mine and seeing him move up the food chain, I thought I will take the risk and completed the purchase. Of course, it goes without saying I’ve been completely satisfied with my purchase as now I feel there is no need in upgrading my system any further except for cables :slightly_smiling_face:. I honestly can’t think it could get better than what I currently have unless I cross over that line of spending $6K plus on a single piece of equipment… Side note, I’ve also got my satisfaction on my DSD/portable itch with the Cayin N7 DAP :slightly_smiling_face:.

Thank you everyone in this forum, this forum is truly knowledgeable and actually productive when it comes to learning audio and improving one’s gear.

• Why This Is My “End Game”:

The reason why I think I achieved my personal “End Game” headphone setup is that I can’t see myself spending more than $6K+ on a single product for my headphone setups. With everything getting more expensive nowadays, I got to get a salary boost if I want to spend 2k+ on anything again without taking more than a couple months to save for it. Luckily, before everything gotten expensive, I have gotten all my stuff used except my DAP, tube amp, and D8K Pro LE so I was able to not cross that line of spending over $6K on a single piece of equipment. I honestly think for under $6K for each product, this fits my needs. The most expensive product I paid for in my chain is the Allnic HPA-5000XL and that was because I couldn’t find that amp used, I had to buy it “new” but at least I got a 2 years warranty on it. The reason for wanting to stop here at $6K is that I got to draw the line somewhere. When starting this hobby, I was like, “wow, $100+ is so expensive, this must be amazing”. Then replace $100+ to $1000+ to $3000+ and now I finally decided to cap it to $6000 since I already went past $5000+ already… Anyways, point being is that I want to stop myself before I dig into the $10K territory, after that who knows if there is coming back from that… Want to start focusing that cash on other things like traveling more again like going to France Strasbourg for Christmas and start collecting guitars. I only got a Stratocaster right now, want to pick up a Yamaha next to be honest.

• Why I Chose The $400 Onkyo A800 As My End Game Headphone:

I love the Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee headphone, it is a timeless classic headphone. I could try to get 1 more amp to drive the Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee to its max potential, but I have 2 reasons that are holding me back. 1 is that the Allnic HPA-5000XL does a very good job already driving that headphone on a great level of sound quality. 2 is that my Onkyo A800 to me is the endgame for people that love the older Sennheiser headphones. The Onkyo A800 to me is the modern take on the Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee and OG HD600 where vocals are the main star for those headphones, the smooth treble and the midrange is something to die for. The Onkyo A800 has all that but added more overall bass range (sub-bass and bass) to its sound signature. Because the Onkyo A800 covers pretty much everything across the board from the low-frequency range of bass to the high-frequency range in treble, it feels like I am not missing out on anything in my music. It hits the lowest frequency for the electric guitar, acoustic guitar, and cellos covering all of their range while at the same time still being able to make the violin sings when it needs to.

No other headphones have bested the Onkyo A800 when it comes to percussion instruments, bass guitars, and acoustic guitars. Every time I hear the boom bah bah boom bah bah boom from the snare and bass drums, it really gives me that punch and kicks to it on the Onkyo A800 (it might be thanks to the Onkyo covering the bass range well). The bass on the Onkyo A800 has some weight, physical rumble, and the bass is very powerful. Even though it has all this powerful bass, you can still be able to make the vocals (especially male) truly shine for the Onkyo A800 with the right gears. It truly has great synergy for any genre of music even if there are no vocals or isn’t bass-heavy. The only issue is that the sub-bass can get really crazy with the Onkyo A800 where it will overpower the rest of the music. That is where the Allnic HPA-5000XL comes in. My Allnic HPA-5000XL controls the sub-bass and bass, making the sub-bass have less decay there (less rumble), while still retaining a fantastic clean powerful bass sound that doesn’t bleed too much into the music, letting the midrange and vocals shine more.

(This bass paragraph review is from my Allnic 100 hours impression review, but I think it fit here)
Bass with the Onkyo A800 + Allnic HPA-5000XL is clean. For bass, I really like the Onkyo A800 > ATH L3000 > D8K Pro LE on the Allnic HPA-5000XL. The Onyko A800 covers everything in bass from sub-bass to bass. The Onkyo has that visceral sub-bass for the physical part of the music and still has a clean bass sound. I used the song Dove by Cymande and I was just jamming the whole time. Let me quote a fellow Redditor on how clean a bass guitar should be, “No rattle, no fret buzz, no compression twang, no distortion, no extra notes ringing, no amp hiss, and no hum.” That was really clean and I am not sure if any other amp could get cleaner than the Allnic HPA-5000XL at least under the 10K mark. For Rap songs with clean bass, I use Break the Bank by Schoolboy Q. As expected, the bass in that song was clean, not muddy at all, just very clean as it should be. Subbass rumble was tamer in the Allnic HPA-5000XL and didn’t really overpower the music. The Allnic HPA-5000XL had a nice balance of sub-bass rumble while making sure the songs have a nice amount of clarity. I use the song Brambleton by Pusha T. Sub-bass had more rumble in the B22 amp, but it muddied up the music and can overpower the rest of the songs. That is why I found the Allnic HPA-5000XL perfect for my favorite headphone Onyko A800. The Onkyo A800 actually has a good level of clarity. The Onyko A800 clarity will get overpowered if you cannot tame the bass. The Allnic HPA-5000XL tames the bass with added benefits. The soundstage on the Onkyo A800 and the Allnic HPA-5000XL is good enough. The Onkyo A800 has a more intimate soundstage, but it’s real dependant on the recording. The Onkyo A800 could easily achieve a more 3D soundstage with the Allnic HPA-5000XL. I’m glad I actually chose right on the first high-level tube on taming the Onkyo A800, only had to spend a big 1 time on my perfect amp for my Onkyo A800.

I want to say because of the amazing bass range of the Onkyo A800 and the Allnic HPA-5000XL tube distortion, male and female vocals have more weight and texture to them making them feel more organic instead of lifeless. It doesn’t have that clarity like the Audeze LCD-5 studio-quality vocals, but the Onkyo A800 added texture and weight makes the vocals feel and sound more alive. I think that’s also thanks to the Onkyo A800 sub-bass since that is the more physical part of the music and I can actually feel the sounds in my ears, but correct me if I’m wrong there (not confident on that one).

Onyko collaborated with Gibson when they tune the A800. You can tell because acoustic instruments in general sound very special with the A800. Piano on the song Spirited Away, film score: One Summer Day, the Onkyo A800 captures the piano sound beauty almost too perfectly to the point where tears were swelling up near my eyes. It’s also nostalgia, but I will give credit to the Onkyo A800 on that one. Then playing the song Piano Man by Billy Joel, even though I want to talk about the other frequency range like midrange and treble, the bass range is very important in music in my opinion. The reverb of the piano in the song Piano Man really gives the piano more character and the melody on it is just love. Let’s not forgot to talk about the acoustic guitar. With the song Roundabout by Yes, an acoustic guitar will echo in your ears at the beginning of the song. Then about 45 seconds into the song mixture of the bass and acoustic guitar play together. Even with all the other noise joining in, you can easily hear the acoustic guitar in your left ear being played intimately to you still providing great imaging. When listening to the drums, I got to listen to the song Give it Away by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Those snare drums reverb really hit and are impactful within the first seconds of the song. Again, I’m just praising the Onkyo A800 ability to replicate the instrument reverbs nicely. To me, the reverb is that special magic in the music to help give the instruments/vocals more character in sounding in a more realistic setting like in a room with acoustic reverb rather than them playing in a dry room.

Of course, Onkyo collaborating with Gibson, I gotta talk about the electric instruments! This is where Onkyo and Gibson nailed the sound of electric instruments and is the main reason why the Onkyo A800 is my favorite headphone of all time. For the electric bass, no other headphones come near the Onkyo A800. For electric guitar, the Onkyo A800 will always rank high on your list as electric guitar because they explode with these headphones in a good way. The only headphones that I think can match the Onkyo A800 for electric guitar are the king of rock headphones, the ATH-L3000 (hint, that is why the Onkyo A800 and ATH-L3000 are my favorite 2 headphones of all time). The song of choice I choose to test out the electric guitar and electric bass is From Now On by BAND-MAID (Lead Guitar, Rhythm Guitar, Bass, and Drums). The song “From Now On” is purely instrumental with no vocals so I can truly focus on the instruments. A first couple of seconds into the song “From Now On”, the first thing you hear is 3 instruments, the Rhythm Guitar, Bass, and Drums playing at the same time. The rhythm guitar with that thick, destructive crunch guitar sound. While the bass and drums make sure to slam your ears making sure they got your full attention. Following up is the bright and clean crunchy guitar sound from the leading guitar riffs. The Onkyo unique music presentation let me lose myself in the music and just take me on a journey through these sick guitar riffs. Throughout most of the song, the lead guitarist is showing you why she is the star of the show. From 0:40 - 1:33, my adrenaline is rising with each passing note getting me even more hype by the passing second. I am just holding my breath, forgetting to breathe, because I am so entranced with her guitar sound. Then, I finally came back to my senses and remember to breathe around 1:33 when hearing the drums snap me out of the leading guitar spell. The bass maintains that ferocious growl in the song, making sure I get that visceral punch throughout the music. Then at 2:27 - 2:47, the bass is the main star of the show. The tone on that bass sound really digs deep into your soul making sure you remember her solo. That bass melody really grabs your attention leaving you in awe. Then for the rest of the song, head banger after head banger. The entire song From Now On by BAND-MAID is an experience and I highly recommend you give it a listen if you like the electric guitar and rock in general. What makes it an almost perfect experience is using the Onkyo A800 to listen to that song. I feel like other headphones compare to the Onyko A800, they are boring and lack excitement to me. The Onkyo A800 brings that musical energy with it making you want to stand up to every song and just move along with the music.

Even though clarity is not a strong point of the Onkyo A800, people will say it has a really good amount of clarity for its price range ($400). I think if the price is not a factor, probably won’t beat any of today’s TOTL in clarity. But the clarity is about $1500 for dynamic headphones in today’s market of headphones if I have to put a price on it and if you are able to tame the sub-bass range. And if you have my current setup, the veil is pretty paper thin. If you remove that paper-thin veil, then you got the D8K Pro LE. Yeah, the difference isn’t too far off in terms of clarity, but little differences matter a lot in this hobby, so not too far off actually means miles away in this hobby. I think too much clarity is a turn off to me like classic rock genres when looking for that creamy sound. I personally think the Onkyo A800 has a perfect amount of clarity for me to enjoy all genres, even the oldies. I think part of the reason the clarity and details are still really good on the Onkyo A800 with my setup is probably because of the Mystique Evo DAC and the NS1 streamer. Without it, clarity will be very veiled because of the overpowering bass. But I think the Onkyo A800 makes up for clarity with excellent timbre on almost everything making the instruments have more character and the way it makes music more engaging with its physical sub-bass.

Overall, the Onkyo A800 is my favorite headphone of all time due to its good balance tuning to let me enjoy any genre and media while still balancing a good amount of energy and fun in music and still retaining a good amount of technicality and clarity. Honestly, the Mystique EVO DAC really helps strengthen and maximize the Onkyo A800 positive traits of being an organic and musical headphone while still revealing a good amount of details in the music. Even though the Onkyo A800 is very easy to drive at 32 ohms, it is very picky on the source due to its very powerful bass range that can muddy up the rest of the music. The 32 ohms is a double edge sword, it’s easy to drive, but a lot of tube amps will make a lot of unwanted noises to the Onkyo A800 due to it being a sensitive headphone. With a powerful tube amp, you will be hearing hums and unwanted noise due to the Onkyo A800 being really sensitive. You will need a tube amp that will be able to drive basically iems with a black background. Also gotta find a DAC/AMP that won’t color the music too much while keeping a low distortion. Still need tubes to have more control on the bass and tube distortion is a must for me just because it gives the music a little more realism to me with the added body and texture to the music. I really think the Mojo Audio Mystique Evo is a match made in Heaven due to both bringing “realism” with their weighty notes and powerful bass. Both the Mystique Evo and Onkyo A800 combo truly deliver you that “analogue sound”. You will probably not find new details in your music, but you will find a uniquely refreshing experience with the Onkyo A800.

So the perfect combo for me is Roon Rock server and EMM NS1 streamer (No unwanted PC noises. Help retain a black background and clean signal, which helps hugely with clarity and imaging) > Mojo Audio Mystique Evo DAC (Boost the Onkyo A800 positive traits of being analogue sounding and organic with lots of details) > Allnic HPA-5000XL (Help drive the Onkyo A800 to its max potential with minimal added distortion and still retain a black background. The only added distortion is the tubes for a more musical sound of added body and texture to the music. I like the way MON describes it in his shit list, definitely a more raw, pure sound from its source. It only season (like a food seasoning) the music lightly instead of changing the music source sound drastically.) > Onkyo A800 using Caldera Thin Pads (the pads add more details while retaining a good amount of bass) with copper wires (sounds more organic than silver) / sometimes silver wires for the Cayin N7 DAP for more added details and bass.

• Conclusion:

I just wanted to make this post as maybe a final thank you. I will return back to just lurking in the forums. Can’t really contribute honestly because all the audio equipment I own is obscure and is my taste in music. I will make another post maybe in July or August on my other “End Game” setup specifically for my ATH-L3000 if there is no hiccup on that road…

Never tried Estats, but I don’t think I want to head down that rabbit hole especially after hearing a lot of issues about owning one without a warranty. One combo I do want to at least try is Stax 007 mk1 or Stax 007A mk1 (much prefer this one and I want this with the Blue Tact mod) + Stax 717 energizer amp combo.

For audio upgrades, I want to upgrade the Mystique Evo DAC basic to a superior version one day or just settle for basic. Buy a switch with some SFP ports. Change some cables here and there and buy at least 2 more Onkyo A800 for backups.

Another thing is that this hobby is pretty sickening lol. It’s like an enjoyable incurable disease. I can treat my symptoms, but watch me come back in 1 month purchasing a headphone and a new amp lol. My plan is after my other “End Game” DAC/Amp purchase for the ATH-L3000 in either July or August, I want to cool it from this hobby. Maybe buy some power cables and digital interconnect cables here and there, but that’s it. I want to cool it for maybe a year and just enjoy my setup without worrying about upgrades. And after a year, if I am still satisfied with my current headphone setup, maybe I can finally quit upgrading my headphone setup. After I quit, I want to focus on building a dedicated audio room, and start a room treatment so I can move to speakers :smiling_imp:. Told you, this hobby is sickening, quitting headphones so I can start speakers. Why speakers? I currently have a Polk Reserve R200 speakers and I really like the way it plays music around me. Like I currently have them on the floor with no stands and I swear I hear music coming from the top left of the room, but the speakers are on the floor. I really enjoy that. There is no happy ending to this story… Maybe if I become deaf like Beethoven when he enter his 40s, I could probably be free from this hobby completely. I guess with this hobby, you’ll never find a happy ending, but might as well enjoy the journey there until it’s over :grin:

Again, thank you everyone in this forum, you guys rock! Keep writing those reviews and articles, I always enjoy reading those impressions and reviews from this forum!

22 Likes

Nice man this is also the same group the helped me out in very similar ways find my own setup I’m also very satisfied with. Is there a time I may buy more gear? Maybe. But am I happy with this setup and be fine if I never buy gear again? Absolutely. Really glad you found your personal end game and enjoy my dude.

6 Likes

Don’t get too “lurkeree”.
Like you my gear doesn’t change much at this point, but the experience of the journey you undertook to get where you have, makes your opinions valuable.

5 Likes

Appreciate it, I will try to contribute if I can. Still haven’t fully burn in the Allnic HPA-5000XL. Company recommended at least 350 hours to fully burn in the all nickel-core transformer, so I will try to remember to give an update on that. Besides that, most of the headphone I like is over 10-20 years old at this point. If people is interested in old headphones, I will probably put a list in this thread if anyone is interested in old gems.

2 Likes

Favorites headphones in the current market for vocals and mainly female vocals if anyone is looking for recommendation in the current market for female vocals:

Low Budget: Sennheiser HD600
Mid Fi: Audeze MM-500
Hi Fi: D8K Pro LE

Here is a list of Hidden Gems I was going to try to collect them all. Here is a list of old/discontinue headphones I wanted to collect if anyone is interested in starting a Hidden Gem collection:

Onkyo A800 :crown:
HE90
HE60
Sony MDR-R10 light bass
Sony MDR R10 Heavy bass
Sony MDR R10 dedicated amp (TA-ER1)
Sony Qualia 010
Sony MDR-CD3000
Sony MDR-F1
Sony MDR-MA900
Sennheiser HD540 GOLD 600 OHM (Under 10K serial numbers)
Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee (Pretty much the same headphone as the HD600 OG, but with better clarity)
Sennheiser HD600 Og version (Black paper) lowest possible serial number (Preferably under 20000)
Grado HP1000 v1 (With the polarity switch)
AKG K1000 (same creator as mysphere)
He Audio JADE - Hifiman JADE - 1st one
Audeze LCD 2 2011 version 2.2 revision 2 pre-fazor called the Prince of Darkness
Audeze LCD 3 2012-3 version - its called the King of Darkness Serial Number start with 232
ATH-L3000 (Bass King)
ATH L3000 dedicated amp DHA3000
ATH-L5000
ATH-W11R
STAX 007 MK1
Stax SR-007 MK2.9
STAX 007A MK 1
STAX OMEGA
STAX Lambda pro 1983
STAX Sigma pro
STAX 404
STAX 009BK - Get the black version 180 units.
KOSS ESP-950

More:
ATH-ESW10JPN
ATH-W2002
ATH-AD2000
Denon D7000
JVC DX1000
Hifiman HE-6 4 screw mod. Early production if possible
Grado P1
TH900 Mod (not to be confuse with Lawton mod, the closer to R10 Fostex TH900 mods | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org )

Hifiman HE Best MODS:
Original Woody HE5 = Code X (best one)
HE5SE = Code X3 (and one Code X2 custom made for someone?)
HE5LE = Code LEX
HE6 OG = Code SEX

Energizer Amp I was going to try if I ever go down the Electrostatic Headphone Route. Never tried these amps, but found this recommendation from the same person that recommended me most of the above hidden gems:

Rank from top to bottom recommendations that I found if I go down this route:
DIY T2
Carbon CC
Kerry new amp
BHSE
Megatron
KGSSHV
KGST
Stax 717
Stax 727 mod
Stax 313 mod
Stax T1W mod
Stax 006ts mod
Stax T1S mod
Stax T1 mod

Per this person, “Personally, the 717 out ranks all of them and the 313 modded pair with the STAX 007 MK1. Only thing it can’t beat is DIY T2”

6 Likes

@dB_Cooper what is the serial on @NickMimi 's pair? Maybe it gets “lost” and is found back in my room. :thinking:

I think a lot of that gear can be considered gems, but i am not sure about the “hidden” part. But thats just semantics.

2 Likes

It’s not a “Dark” Hp though??? Did you find it “Dark” or am I misunderstanding what dark means :thinking:. I need to go look up the meaning in our post that explains all the terms

1 Like

When it was nickname the “King of Darkness”, the reviewer reason is this, “ KING OF DARKNESS: By “king of darkness” I do not mean to suggest that the LCD-3 is the darkest headphone in this evaluation; it certainly is far from that. What I mean to suggest is that the LCD-3 is, to my ears, the epitome of what a dark-sounding headphone should be. Its sound signature is definitely on the darker side of neutral, but it doesn’t completely lose its neutrality. It also avoids smearing detail and clarity; an unfortunate byproduct of many darker-sounding headphones. For this reason, I can listen to it for hours and never shriek at the sound of bright recordings.”

3 Likes

It won the king of darknesss title by not being dark.

I am actually going to write up a little thing on the Audeze prefazors but itll be in the Audeze thread. Too bad i never bit on the lcd-x prefazor prototype.

4 Likes

I am soooooooo satisfied with my current setup, AGAIN LOL. I thought it would be really hard to get my 3rd satisfaction in this hobby, but dang it I actually did it. 1st satisfaction is the discovery of the Sennheiser HD600, 2nd satisfaction was discovering my own preference for my taste instead of the most popular taste when I finished the Mystique Evo Basic > Allnic HPA-5000XL > Onkyo A800/ATH-L3000 combo. 3rd satisfaction is finally getting preference headphones for different artists/genre/song with my new current rotation: Susvara; ATH-L3000; Raal SR1a; Mysphere 3.2; and Onkyo A800. Through the power of everyone past posts, I read through people’s opinions of which headphones they mostly gear towards and their preference in music. I also check their current gear to see what they kept from the 2021 posts to now to see if the headphone actually holds up and it’s not the “honeymoon” phase. So, after a lot of reading, trying stuff out at CanJam Chicago, and of course budgeting and praying this will sound good in my setup, I finally assembled 5 main headphones that I can honestly say I equally enjoy depending on the type of music/song I am listening to. I know it’s blasphemy that I included the lowly Onkyo A800 in the rotation, but it’s one of the only headphone that I really like it’s bass and midrange. It’s not as smooth as the Susvara, not as sweet as the ATH-L3000, but I will say the Onkyo A800 is more on the neutral side with a little warmth.

My new main rotation is:

• Susvara: Headphone that does no wrong and only right. I expected this headphone to be bass-light from a lot of people’s (other forum) impressions, but man the bass is really well done on this headphone. It’s not too exaggerated where it bleeds to it’s beautiful mids, but it’s a lot there and quality is there. Mids is just downright beautiful, smooth, and delicate. This is what I would call high-class mids. It’s just so addicting and easy to get lost in the Susvara mids, I can see why people are ready to drop $10K plus on a amp for the Susvara. I had a moment of weakness for a bit, but I remember listening to the Viva amp, then remembering when I listened to the Schiit Folkvangr, while listening to the Allnic Amp the entire time. The Allnic HPA-5000XL is a very solid higher middle ground in the spectrum of amp prices ($100 - $16K), especially since I got it used. The Allnic Amp also helps with its unique presentation on the soundstage and my entire setup was originally to buff the Onkyo A800 bass which also helped the Susvara to get a bass sound that I will appreciate as well. There something in the Susvara treble that makes it so airy and will make me go “wow” on certain songs (mostly synth-pop songs and dance music). On top of all that, it pulls details from recording like it’s nothing and not in offensive way. The soundstage is grand with amazing reverbs on vocals. Its also the third highest clarity headphone in the rotation besides the Raal Sr1a being 2nd and Mysphere 3.2 being in 1st, but it’s not a huge gap in clarity. Well, if everything is so amazing, why don’t I just use the Susvara? Well, one of my biggest reasons is because the Susvara presentation in music is relaxed. There can be some excitement depending on what song it is. But at the same time, I can double that excitement just by switching to another headphone in my main rotation but in exchange sacrificing a lot of its technicalities. I think the level of excitement it brings to me is worth the tradeoff (depending on the mood of course). If for some reason I got to sell all my gear, I will either keep the Susvara or ATH-L3000 with the Onkyo A800. I say that because the Onkyo A800 is so cheap compared to the other headphones that to me, it’s not worth selling for $200 - $400 because it’s so rare and it sounds really unique to me even with my current collection. If I ever do reach that point where I have to sell all my gears, I will probably get a Trafomatic Primavera for the amp because I read that the bass and soundstage are next levels for the Susvara and with the ohms selector, I’m thinking it will work with my Onkyo A800 as well.

• ATH-L3000: This headphone is my first love that made me downsize and get rid of all my original mid-fi collection. This headphone to me, is almost unbeatable when it comes to fun, energetic, yet still somehow pretty musical. Like the Susvara and my previous owned D8000 Pro LE, I think it’s a very balanced headphone where it’s pretty dang satisfying across the spectrum. I say it’s biggest strength is the mid-bass and lower mid-range which to me is what makes the headphone sound very special. Mids get sweet (not too sweet) and are more forward. I think in the past reviews and posts on the ATH-L3000, it was famously named “Bass-King”. It can get “bassy” in terms of quantity when you turn up the volume, but your ears are going to get damaged at that volume. It made me think it probably earned it’s nickname “Bass-King” because it’s a bass headphone done right. Treble probably gets overshadow because of the ATH-L3000 fantastic bass and midrange. The better your treble, the sharper your instrument will sound and the guitar will sound more energetic (exciting). It’s not overly done where it could get offensive, but juuuuust right to me. That is also another reason why a lot of people like this headphone for rock songs because it’s perfect balance of bass, midrange, and treble for that genre while also still retaining a good amount of resolution. Another good strength is the imaging on the ATH-L3000. What it lacks in soundstage, it makes up for it in imaging. I think having a small-median soundstage with good imaging gives a more natural feel of where the instruments would be in my head. The Allnic amp does exaggerate it, but in a more fun way so I don’t mind.

• Raal SR1a: Honestly, everything almost a lot of things I like about the Susvara (except midrange) I like about the Raal SR1a, but in a more aggressive and exaggerated fashion. Best bass I ever heard, hands down. The quantity and punch isn’t quite there, no “oomph” in the bass. But the quality, cleanest sounding bass, easy. It’s clean, with no distortion, and no extra notes ringing, it’s a really good-sounding bass, just without the “oomph”. Mids is a different flavor for sure compared to the 1st two mentioned headphones. One of the highest-clarity headphone I own. The music sounds real, but something felt very off and I couldn’t really put my finger on it. Then, I tried another headphone and I finally understood what it was. The Raal SR1a is a little too fast. Music sounds faster on the Raal SR1a and it’s throwing me off-beat. I have to adjust my brain to use it everytime, but it is rewarding because the clarity is amazing and the amount of details is fantastic. The treble is nice, bright, and exciting, but it never got too bright for me which I like. The soundstage is nice and huge, but honestly like the Mysphere 3.2 holographic soundstage more (mostly because of my Allnic HPA-5000XL amp). Another thing that stand out for me is that vocals seem to shine a little more on the Raal SR1a as well when comparing it to the Mypshere 3.2. The 2nd highest clarity in vocals I ever heard, but like I said earlier, the speed can be an issue for me.

• Mysphere 3.2: This was probably one of the first headphone that I created a dedicated playlist to. The Mysphere is the pickiest headphone I ever had. It’s picky on what it wants to sound amazing for and also playing with the frames on my head eats up a good 10 minutes. Usually, I don’t want a headphone that is a hassle, that is why I instantly sold my ATH-W5000. But, gotta admit…the Mysphere 3.2 is the best-sounding audio equipment I ever heard in my life. If you can find your right song, with the frames place perfectly, it is an absolutely magical experience. I had a more emotional connection with the Mysphere 3.2 like she is my long-lost lover or something. I don’t feel like writing my impressions again, just going to paste the link below to my 1st impression. I still stand by how I felt during that first week, I might feel a little bit stronger about this headphone compared to when I first had them. I also want to say it’s the most clear headphone I have in the rotation. I want to say because of its open frames, it gives an amazing black background. That tends to make music sound more “clearer” compared to the regular headphones that wrap your ears in a seal pad. It’s weird though. My brain tell me the Mysphere sounds clearer than the Raal. But I remember having a conversation with someone on headphones that is more clear vs headphones that is more natural. Because the Mysphere sounded more natural to my ears, my brain just think it sounds clear because it sounded more correct to my brain. So the Raal SR1a might sound clearer than the Mysphere 3.2, but the brain keeps throwing me off and keeps telling my body that the Mysphere 3.2 sounds clearer. It could be that the Vidar 2 is also holding the SR1a back. So if I got a better amp, the Raal will excel in clarity than the Mysphere. On my current setup, I want to say the Mysphere 3.2 has more clarity than the Raal SR1a. The Mysphere is also the only headphone that convinced us that we can get closer to real live music. No other headphone even in my current collection give me this magical feeling of the performer having no microphone and I don’t have my equipment. Just a raw performance, a very intimate and emotional experience.

Onkyo A800: I wrote like 4 Onkyo A800 impressions on 2 different forums, kinda tired of rewriting them lol. I will just use the below one since I still feel the same way for the most part. Compare to what I have now, I still think the Onkyo A800 can still offer me something even in my current collection and my time of listening and trying out other high-level gear. There something magical about the Onkyo A800 entire tuning. At first, I thought it was just its bass, but another Onkyo A800 owner recommended a pad to entirely remove the bass. The pad worked and the mids were amazing. I also know there is something extra special in the treble that makes the guitar extra crunchy compared to a lot of the headphones I listen to, even the ATH-L3000. Just adding bass is a huge upgrade to its overall musical presentation of great mids and good treble. I also used to thought the Onkyo A800 was probably more on a consumer side of bass since my ATH-L3000 was consider more of an “audiophile” bass. Then I listened to the HD660 S2 and Mezes 99 classics and did not like the bass on those. The Onkyo A800 bass is more tasteful and probably my favorite sounding bass on any headphone so far with the ATH-L3000 as the 2nd best. I say The Onkyo A800 is more similar to the ATH-L3000 where the lower midrange is a highlight to the headphone, but instead of mid-bass, I like its lower bass region more. Again, similar to the ATH-L3000, the bass can get crazy, but because of its forward mids, vocals will be upfront with the Onkyo A800. But I wouldn’t say its forward like the ATH-L3000 where its in your face, I say its slight forward midrange where it stands out enough that you will notice its midrange goodness. I really like vocals on the Onkyo A800. I will admit that male vocals sounds better (probably because of the bass) but female vocals also sound great on the Onkyo A800. And when I say the vocals sound good, I don’t mean it sound sweet like the ATH-L3000. I think the vocals sound tonally correct to me with the Onkyo A800. The Raal was sooooo close in taking over vocals for me, but its just too fast. So the Mysphere and Onkyo A800 is my go to vocals and the Susvara/ATH-L3000 is there where I want something more sweet in the vocals. Clarity isn’t really an issue with me, mainly because I just really like how everything sounds together when the music starts playing. Clarity isn’t bad like the Sennheiser HD600 famous veil or the Mezes 99 classics, I think its good enough personally. If I ever crave more clarity, I got 4 top headphones for clarity.

I want to say all these headphones are pretty good in all genre, it’s just more song specific on what I want from the music:

• Susvara (Slow songs for a more emotional experience and trio music vs busy music);
  • ATH-L3000 (Female vocals for some sweetness);
  • Raal SR1a (High BPM songs or complicated busy music);
  • Mysphere 3.2 (basically any song that has good synergy with the headphone lol. This is my perfect world situation headphone);
  • Onkyo A800 (Songs I want to really bring the bass or just want to really have fun with the song)

I guess another thanks to this community needs to be made. I didn’t really ask any direct questions because this forum is so rich in information and organized. The threads don’t get off-topic, and the impressions are sooo much easier to read and get a good grip on what that equipment does best. I’m trying to learn to get good like you guys, but honestly, I am not good with my words and get too distracted too easily when I type stuff down. 1 thing I do like is that a lot of people post and thread age pretty well. Like the " Utopia vs Mysphere 3.2 vs Susvara vs 1266 Phi TC" was such a good thread to read on the current TOTL. The best part is that those headphones are still considered the very best in the market so the thread aged nicely even after 2 years. MON Mysphere’s article was really good to read, probably my favorite article here since it help me determine what headphones I wanted to get to directly compare to the Mysphere, and ended up liking both (which was the Susvara).

Next move? Honestly, I just want to chill and enjoy my current equipment. I currently do not have any strong desire to upgrade anything. I will probably upgrade my DAC, but will wait for what Ben releases in the future. Besides that, I want to upgrade my speakers, but I want to take a couple of months to actually enjoy my current headphones and find what kind of song I enjoy with them. Also just really enjoying the Polk R200 more than I thought I would, so I have no desire to upgrade my speakers right now as well. I am also pretty ignorant of what a higher-tier speaker sounds like, so I guess ignorant is blessed in this case. Probably will fix the center of the speakers ( where its nothing there) before buying any new speakers anyway. I currently exploring the entire catalog again with the current rotation and see what kind of songs I like with them and if it sounds magical with the Mysphere 3.2 lol.

This is a lot of writing, probably not going to proofread this and it’s big dinner time. I know a lot of people here reach their good “satisfaction” stopping point in this hobby. I am just writing this to any future members of the forum. If you are wondering if this is the place to be to find your perfect audio chain, I say there is no better place than the Sonvs Apparatvs forum :wink: since I just reached my 3rd satisfaction in this hobby which I feel like is a big wall to climb.

Current Chain:
Main Speaker Chain: ROON Rock - Intel NUC 7i7 > EMM Labs NS1 > [AES] Mojo Audio Mystique EVO B4B 21 > Custom 45/6SN7 Tube Only Supratek Cabernet DHT > Schiit Vidar 2 > Polk Reserve R200 / Raal Sr1a
Main Headphone Chain: ROON Rock - Intel NUC 7i7 > EMM Labs NS1 > [AES] Mojo Audio Mystique EVO B4B 21 > Custom 45/6SN7 Tube Only Supratek Cabernet DHT > [RCA] Allnic HPA-5000XL > Headphones

20 Likes