Ferrum Audio thread, Hypsos / Oor / Erco

The Hypsos/OOR combo caught my attention at the recent canjam show. So much so that I’m really looking into getting one.

These guys will be the one carrying their products very soon in the NA region.

The PSU was really cool albeit needing a bit of a learning curve. Build on both was just top notch; liked it more than the build of the GSX-mini.

As for sound, it was very clean, detailed, and natural. I first tried it with the LCD-XC and immediately put it down because I did not like the XC at the moment. It was fatiguing for me to listen to. Luckily, the vendor had a Utopia he had borrowed from a Focal friend which I’m more familiar with. I thought it sounded solid. Enough to where, when I got home, I looked at my Soloist and wished it was the OOR instead. lol

I did try out a GSX-mini at the Headamp booth using a Celestee and from memory I liked the OOR more (I know it wasn’t the same headphone). It left more of an impression to me.

7 Likes

I can’t comment on the oor, but I have had a hypsos for awhile now, and it’s def one of the best aftermarket PSU I have tried. Extreme flexibility without sacrificing in sq (although another output to power another device would be nice, but it would basically be a lab psu at that point lol). Sonically it’s clean yet organic, tends to really improve technical proficiency on what it powers, and most importantly tends to not interfere with balance and doesn’t tilt things all that much, which is a problem I’ve experienced with other aftermarket psu

Based off what you have said @hifiDJ, I’m definitely curious on trying the oor, and interested in what they have coming next too, thanks for the impressions and writeup :+1:

7 Likes

Of course! It’s been hard not to think about it. Looks like a real solid SS option. I am curious how the OOR is w/o the Hypsos and how it performs there…

3 Likes

Even though I have no info lol, I absolutely bet the hypsos is pulling a lot of the weight there given what it does for other things

4 Likes

Is there anything else that would be around the same price that would offer a similar experience?

It’s the first one I’ve seen with this kind of feature-set.

1 Like

Sound wise you have options around the price point that compete, but for the raw flexibility in voltage I haven’t seen anything like it before

2 Likes

I have no personal experience and only online readings to pull data from, but my take on the setup is that the Hypsos is to the OOR as the Powerman is to the Formula S.

2 Likes

That would indeed make a lot of sense

1 Like

Since first sight I have loved the ferrum audio aesthetics. When i was into guitar building i made a “rust guitar” and their pieces very much remind me of that build.

The Hypsos is real interesting and the price seems very reasonable for what it is. I need to check it out more and read up on the compatibility list.

3 Likes

Oh dear gosh their compatibility list will list everything at first then on full page load it lists like 15 at a time and makes you hit next page over and over and over.

THEN IT GOES OUT OF ALPHABETICAL ORDER AND VARIES THE NUMBER OF RESULTS PER PAGE, DEAR GOSH HOLD ME BACK.

1 Like

It ticks most boxes of a bench PSU, except the option to current limit the output.

One bench PSU that is close would be the similarly priced R&S HMC 8041 :wink:

2 Likes

Nice article on the OOR over at 6moons.

2 Likes

Honestly, a lab supply vs hifi supply woukd ve kind of a cool shoot out

3 Likes

Since I don’t have two grand just sitting about, that is a test for someone else to do.

3 Likes

:joy:

Ill see what I can do about convincing someone else to test that idea

3 Likes

I’ve spent a bit too much lately on some other audio stuff, but I might be interested in doing that in the future lol

3 Likes

I thought you said it was on the way?

I’d get it w/ the HYPSOS so technically that’ll be 3 grand. lol

3 Likes

Ah the oor? yes it is lol. We are talking about the lab psu vs audio psu

2 Likes

Ahhh, goctha oops!

2 Likes

It hinestly just seems like kind of a fun test. I’d give it a shot but I’ve got a ton of stuff in/comming in within the next couple weeks and have 0 time to even try that much the less other stuff :joy:

1 Like