Quirky/unpopular/cheap headphones that are good

Audeze Sine

I got these lent today expecting nothing, but OMG they sound terrific, my first impression is this is my favorite planar to date (havent tried the good renown ones, only the shilled ones lol)

Its like a sennheiser momentum tuning but done incredibly right, guilty pleasure nasty v-shape tuning id say

VE Monk+

Very shilled in the old head-fi days, $5 earbuds, some have compared their sound to the hd800 and others to a broken radio, to me its a mix between both, anyway impossible to beat this timbre in the low tiers, clear natural vocals, better than ksc75 in that regard.

2 Likes

Yep got sent the monk plus as well they really are decent especially in the mids. Only issue I have with them is the lack extension both ways of the spectrum

1 Like

Bass rolls of at 120 and theres nothing below 80, upper bass pretty punchy though

Issue with the Mc 300 shell design is lack of seal gets rid of impact I can hear bass but I don’t get any thump. Could be a issue with earshape. I do have wild Lee of VE sending more buds to try though. Might do a little VE comparison when they come in.

1 Like

Nice, i had the the VE zen LL, a darker bassier version of the VE zen (which is heading my way), and it really was bassy, so much it made my ears itch

Hello,
I think the Emu Purpleheart on Massdrop is quite nice.
It costs $75 and I had it shipped to Germany, it’s a little Fostex Purpleheart if you like.
For travelling in the train bus or for chilling or zooming it is quite nice.its isolation is good.
Comfort is also passable, sometimes you have to lift it a little.
It’s also warm and V shape,has a great crisp bass,great midrange and highs still work.
The important thing is a good source, then it’s fun.

I was pleasantly surprised by it, women benefit most from it because of their small ears or people with small ears.
Mine are a bit too big but it’s just about right.

I think it offers a lot for the money and the sound is above what you can buy in electronics stores.

For me, it’s a real all-rounder in many respects.

1 Like

That hydraulic headband though.

2 Likes

imagen

“to my ears the tonality is neutral…” bro to my eyes the headband is cyberpunk 2077, how did they came up with that armature… they probably sound good though

1 Like

They certainly look interesting, question is if they sound like they look.

1 Like

Clearly designed by someone with a laser cutter.

1 Like

I am pretty incredibly interested in these things tbh. They just look so damn cool and seem to be reviewd pretty well (though not like there are a lot of impressions out there). Too bad the maker is apparently a massive PITA to work with if you want to get them outside of russia.

As for other un-talked about but great cans, Solitaire P are actualy very very very solid IMO. The detail is realy up there, texture is great, and the stage width+dynamics is only challenged by HD800S on current drive (and you have way more amp options). TBH Im having a very hard time deciding if I want to sell or keep these. I feel like I have to predict synergy to make the decsion. Do I keep Soli and use it on amps I have for other stuff or do i sell Soli an be able to afford a releaf setup for HD800S. Hard pick without hearing the stuff im drooling over -.-

Maybe because theyre so darn hot!

They do look like if the HD6 line was made today, and that is a compliment.

2 Likes

IDK what that is tbh but is its sennheiser, sennys are built way better than the solis…

EDIT: Honestly, 2012 hifiman is built better than solli too…

The senn hd600, 650, 6xx. I got lazy and didn’t want to type it out.

Its funny you mention their build as i just read them bragging about it on their website.

1 Like

very very double edged sword on the build here. I 1000% understand why they made the overall decision they did. The cans weigh just nothing and as such are pretty damn comfortable despite several shape deficiencies (though they dont really stay on your head super well if you are walking around which is sad). Unfortunately that measn they are nothing but plastic and cant realy afford the weight of a super nice adjustment mechanism. The general fit and finish its self is actualy quite nice, but they could definitely make a V2 with just fit changes (adding some spring to the like Y axis rotation of the cups and changing how they handle pivoting are two big ones IMO)

Looking a bit like @Andy77’s clear when he plugged it into the phonitor there

3 Likes

Photographer must be a burson customer

4 Likes

Nah, topping

4 Likes

its just snap crackles and pops all the way down

1 Like

Haha!! Yeah!! Poof there goes two grand!

1 Like