Ambient Acoustics - MAD24 & MAD16

Just got these in yesterday as part of a review tour. So far I’m generaly pretty impressed tbh, but I need a lot more ear time and to compair against my mest mk2 since I haven’t listened to iems much the past month or so

Anyone else had hands on with these? Especialy currious against the infinity mk2 as the timbre of these seem to be quite good

5 Likes

It is actually shocking that you can now cram 24 ba into one shell lol. Generally what are the stand outs to you so far?

1 Like

Tge timbre is probabaly the best I’ve heard in an iem (still not at the “shocking” level you get from raal and the ilk, bjt it is very good). Its shockingly smooth but still quite detailed. Tbh though I’m only about 30 min in and that was all off of bt. I’m going to give em a good listen on sp1k from roon the rest of today to get some better thoughts.

Edit: also, you can see the ba arays through the shell. Its pretty cool. I’ll try and get a better pic later

1 Like

Does it have "ba timbre? " sorry, had to do it lol…

Ima be honest man (and holy fuck is this going to sound spoiled). I’ve never played with any ba iems low enough tier to realy know what ba timber actualy sounds like. Only only full ba experiences have been this and vx which both seem to have quite good timbre

Yeah, I was playing around.
Rhapsodio Infinity MK2 is full BA and it sounds majestic

2 Likes

Ima hold true impressions for a few more days with these but tbh, with all the hype going on from other guys one the tour (all 3 before me have bought a set) im kind of underwhelmed here. They are the best iems I’ve ever heard, but its not by the kind of astonishing margin I was expecting tbh. Over all there is realy nothing at all to complain about. Great detail, timbre is astonishing, staging is great (to an actual shocking level, reaky like this part, but mest mk2 already do it), bass is tactile, engaging, and properly slammy. Everything is great. It just doesn’t blow my socks off like I was expecting…

2 Likes

Bah. I like the presentation on hugo2 a fair bit actualy, but its complete hiss city :confused:

Wow wow wow wow. Ok, so I’m starting to gt these a bit more. As I said before the detail has been obviously at a very high level since I first listened I just didn’t realy care, but I’ve jut started listening to acoustic jazz and the timbre here is very very very good. Quite easily the best I have heard live horns on iems

Edit: btw. I think yall may still be able to sign up for the tour. Please don’t tattle that I said that just incase but I got on by just emailing their CS email and going “I heard there is a tour happening currently, can I join?”. Would be very interested to know how someone of yall with infinity mk2 think they stack up

2 Likes

So Just some updates here. I have the MAD24, Traillii, and Mason FuSang all in house right now. I quite honestly think the MAD24 need to be on all of your lists. The Detail level is roughly comparable with Traillii (think traillii has slightly more bass detail, but only very slight and everything else is on par) and the seperation on MAD24s is IMO in a different tier from Traillii. I have never once been able to overwhelm the MADs and any and all parts of the track are easy to focus on regardless of what is going on. With the Traillii I find that with more complex (and even worse on compressed) tracks the detail is all there but it can be exceptionaly hard to focus on certain aspects with everything being a bit smeared together. The MADs also have better bass tactility IMO (though this clearly is at the expense of some minor loss in bass detail). Off of about 16 hours on Traillii and about a week with the MADs I think the only place the traillii comfortably wins is the trailing edge of tones is much clearer and there is better decay. That said, IMO, this has so far been a preferable loss to the seperation issue I have on traillii vs the mads.

I have the traillii and Mason FS until monday (and MADs kind as long as I want them) so Ill be getting a lot more ear time and getting both propper reviews and comparisons out hopefuly starting this weekend

2 Likes

Are these only aval in custom form? I can’t find anywhere where you could buy a universal set

They make universals for the 16 and 24 for sure but I think the other models may be custom only (they only did customs before this generation of iems).

I will say though, I wouldn’t go for universals of them for anything other than a demo. The fit is a bit funky needing to kinda rest them on the pinna fairly outside of the ear. Yiy may be able to get universal and get them reseller to customs once you decide they are keepers though

1 Like

Just thought I would bump this and talk about some amp pairings with the MAD24. For all options the P6P was my main source and directly out of P6P will be my reference for “neutral”/“normal” for them. Also, because the mads I have have a SE cable this is all on teh SE out of the P6P as well.

MK428

Honestly, this went exactly as expected. Increased image clarity, texture, a bit of body, and a ton of control. The IEMs felt very transparent to the amp here. Solid pairing over all.

WA8

Here is where we start to get a bit weird. The WA8 typically leans fairly well dense IMO with only just “alright” detail (compared to P6P direct and 428). The MADs on this though didn’t take to the normal amp characteristics at all. Sweet with a hint of lushness and some really hyper organic stage but never feeling wet or slow. Honestly, this is what I wish the WA8 did to my other cans. Probabaly a better pairing than the 428, but the sound characteristics of the IEM dont remain normal and there is some detail and texture loss so be ware.

HPA-01M (current drive)

Saving the best for last. This was an astonshing combo. Sharing neither the sound I expect from the amp or the IEMs this was something entirely new. Staging was extraordinary with significantly enhanced imaging and stage dymanics (how things move within the stage) nearly reminiscent of the visceral staging of mest. Texture was also enhanced to a whole new level. TBH texture is one of my complaints with the MADs as at times they can feel almost too clean when the song is actually fairly gritty. With the HPA-01M that feeling was no more. The FR was changed, in some ways good, in some not so much. The mid bass was reduced a bit (punch remained but mid bass normaly on these can be a bit much for me so I’m happy about it), but unfortunately they also got a bit shouty at times. I think that vauge shout was actualy my only complaint with the setup. As for detail, once again, abnormal for the amp, it was increased by a fair margin just by the better staging and separation (something the mads already do well). I do think image clarity was reduced a small amount but I think that loss wasn’t just acceptable but even flat out beneficial as it gave a much more organic presentation of the image as it moved (something I find key to mest staging for example). TBH I wasnt super into the MADs before this as I just felt they were missing some of the involvement I got from mest even if they are technically much better, but with this combo that involvement and wonder is back in spades.

1 Like

Very interesting on the current drive part, typically iems are somewhat lackluster on current drive outside of single dynamics, but I wonder if the lack of a crossover allowed for current drive to not mess things up

1 Like

My curriosity of if no crossover would allow it to play well is exactly why I even tried it in the first place. That is my expectation of why it worked tbh

1 Like