Allnic Audio & ZL Technologies thread

The Allnic HPA-3000 GT that I was asking about is now in my possession! I’ve only listened to it for a couple hours and I’m probably not going to make a dedicated thread for it or anything, so I’ll give some quick impressions on what I’m hearing vs. the Quicksilver.

The first thing I noticed was the staging: it’s a deeper stage than I was getting with the Quicksilver, but it’s not just distance away from me, it also feels like the close things are even closer. So there’s more contrast in where things seem to be staged. I’m also hearing more little details, or at least the details that I’m hearing are easier to pick out. Low-end definitely has more impact, though I didn’t notice it at first because the tracks I started off with were all like, acoustic covers and stuff, so it kind of hit me in the face when I got around to a track that had really strong sub-bass hits, lol. It seems like I’m also feeling the music a bit more in my chest, if that makes any sense, but no idea if that’s actually the music or just my state of being today.

Also, a nice usability improvement: this amp is significantly less susceptible to RF interference. Note that most of these impressions so far have been with the OG Clear listening to the single-ended out of the <=50 ohm output, so I’m excited to eventually try this with a higher-end headphone with a nice XLR cable. (Though I definitely over-spent with this last round of purchases, so I’m going to cool my heels for a bit when it comes to buying new gear.)

9 Likes

Noiceeeeeeee, that’s a really sweet and overlooked amp, same with the 5000 xl too. I’ve demoed the 3000 gt a few times but owned a 5000 xl for awhile and that thing was a beast with planars, was very impressive what that thing could drive. Surprisingly though for some higher impedance cans like an hd800s for example it sounded better off the 3000 gt vs the 5000 xl

1 Like

Nice. I put my hat in the ring for a HPA5000xl secret months ago. Didn’t get it, so I picked up a Pass HPA1. As soon as I grabbed the Pass, an Allnic 3000 was appeared.

Glad you enjoy it. I’d definitely consider getting an Allnic when I’m in the mood to listen to headphones again.

2 Likes

It’s funny you say that, I’m also finding that the 3000 GT does seem to have fantastic synergy with the Eikon, better than it does with the Clear from my limited listening. (Though the Clear is still better technically, of course.)

~~~~~~~

Looking towards the future, the 3000 GT uses 6EM7 tubes, which I’m not familiar with, and in doing some cursory web searches, I’m not seeing a lot of places that sell 6EM7 matched pairs, so I might be asking some questions in the tube thread at some point.

My girlfriend Ellen listened to a song on this setup just because it’s a big new thing and she was curious. (Her words: “Yeah, this sounds really good.”) Though she was surprised that the more expensive tube amp used fewer tubes, lol. To some extent, I share that feeling, since the 3000 GT is balanced in and balanced out, but using only two tubes, this thing can’t actually be a true balanced design, can it?

The only XLR terminated headphone cable I own is a Hart Audio cable, and the nicer cables I own are all terminated in 1/4", so almost all of my listening has been using the single-ended outs. Though I also recently ordered an L&P W2 too, and so yeah, getting some nice balanced cables and adapters are on my list of things to buy.

2 Likes

I’d honestly just keep what it has, they pick good tubes from the factory (nos ones) and since they are more unusual tube types there aren’t as many options anyways

Balanced with tube amps is a bit different, so it might not be differential but with some transformer things you can get balanced in and out of a tube amp. But I wouldn’t worry about it too much

Perfect perfect

1 Like

I agree that the stock tubes sound great and I don’t feel the need to roll them. But since I bought the amp used and I have no idea how much it was used by its previous owners, I don’t know how much life the tubes have left in them. Though I guess I can cross that bridge when I come to it.

Anyone know what the difference is between the HPA-5000 and HPA-5000 XL is?

The XL has balanced in and out, and a better power supply, and perhaps a few more tweaks but I’m not sure. I do know that the older 5000 units had some sort of impedance switch where the XL does not

1 Like

Ty. It looks like the non-xl has been discontinued so I was struggling to find info on it

The latest version from what I’ve been told when I got my 3000 is that it’s a DHT version

1 Like

So far so good with the amp but still burning it in (and I was way too sleepy while listening to it for the first time).

I noticed I hear some pops/clicks when I start turning up the gain from 0. I assume this is normal for tube amps, right? Just want to make sure.

And are these safe to use with IEMs? I’m aware generally it’s not a good idea to use with desktop tube amps but I want to try it with the IE900 w/o destroying it.

3 Likes

define pops and clicks.
You might get something pops, clicks ,hum, when the tubes are warming up, one of my regulators makes audible “ting” noises as it warms up. But you shouldn’t get anything significant for changing the volume with things warmed up (say 20+ minutes), unless just like an SS amp you have a dirty pot or something.

Could be an issue with very low impedance IEM’s, but it’s most likely fine, very few headphone amps are running enough current through the tubes for it to be an issue.
If there is no warning about not using it unless you have headphones plugged in I wouldn’t worry about it.

2 Likes

When I adjust the volume sometimes some clicks come through the left channel (sometimes both). Kind of sounds like static but I only hear it when volume is adjusted. And it’s definitely been more than 20min.

Yeah, it doesn’t mention anything on the manual. Good to know though, thanks!

It’ll just be the volume control then, if it’s stepped attenuator, it might be normal, you may just be getting some part of the change in position briefly disconnecting the input.
If it’s a conventional pot, it really shouldn’t do that unless it’s dirty, you can try rapidly sweeping the pot backwards and forwards in the affected region to see if that cleans it up.

Once it’s warmed up it’s just like any other amp, there is nothing magical about changing volume on a tube amp that should make it any more noisy than doing it on an SS amp.

1 Like

Yup, it’s a 41-step attenuator.

That’s good to know as well. Being new to tubes, there’s always this perception that it’ll somehow function differently from a SS amp (at least for me).

1 Like

Do tubes typically have a smoky smell to them?
The amp/tube is not smoking btw just to make that clear.
My guess is it’s the dust burning, maybe…?

I use compressed air and make sure my amps and tubes are clean once a week or so.

*While things are still cold.

3 Likes

Not generally, though I don’t give them a close sniff very often.
They get hot enough to potentially heat something like dust, possibly cause the smell.
And I could see an NOS tube doing that if it was heading towards failure.
But if the amp is new it might be normal, possibly some residue from assembly somewhere.

Your way more fastidious than I am then, I wipe dust off if I noticed it’s accumulating (I might have done in 3 times in the last year), again while cold, gently with a microfiber cloth. I usually do it when I wipe the top of the amp to remove dust I see on there.

2 Likes

It’s either dust or something from manufacturing, if it’s a slight smell it’s not much to worry about unless it persists for awhile or gets stronger. It’s something that I’ve noticed with about half of my amps, it’s most likely dust if it hasn’t been used for awhile

Also curious on your thoughts on it ofc lol

3 Likes

It actually fills the (small) room. It’s not anything strong but subtle. I’ll keep an eye out though if it persists.

Huh, didn’t know that. I’ll keep that in mind for future reference. Though I’m assuming you’d be able to hear it first if a tube starts failing.

You bet, you gave the rec after all! lol

Just on early impressions one good thing stands out and one bad thing. Good thing is I dig the bass on this. Very tight, impactful, and just heavy-hitting in general. It’s bolder w/o losing any control. Bad thing is that I can hear a very slight peak in the treble. My audiophile sense is telling me that either it needs more burn-in time or the power cable is the cause. I say the power cable because it’s straight out crap. Very flimsy, thin, and cheap. It sucks. I ordered a decent budget cable just to make sure. If that’s not it I can just return it easily.

2 Likes