General Source Gear Help/Discussion Thread

So I like the neve with the 800s, but it’s not a great starter pairing, it’s too revealing toward the dac to where I think with an allo the g111 is a safer pick. The neve is something that I think is only worth going for if you already know what you like about the headphone and what you enjoy about it, otherwise it might not be a fan of it, so that’s why I didn’t mention it off the bat, but I do like it more than the g111 with the 800s myself, but assuming that’s using something like at least a bifrost 2 with it.

But I do think it’s still potentially worthwhile looking into if you don’t mind something more technicality focused though. I think it does a great job at giving the 800s more organic presentation and roping the stage in a bit, makes it very dynamic overall, very resolving, very nice timbre, and solid spatial recreation. I do think slam and impact could be a bit better but it’s a smaller tradeoff. It does make the treble peaks of the 800s a bit more apparent in the upper registers which some might find unpleasant but personally it doesn’t bother me that much. So all depends on what you are looking for I guess, just a pretty intense listen

3 Likes